Hello Travellers & Visa Lovers 🙂
The better-half and I recently spent a weekend in Luxembourg. I know! Who goes to Luxembourg!! But it was totally worth it. An affordable luxury holiday in beautiful surroundings.
Highlights of the trip were:
1. Excellent Hotel — we stayed at the Sofitel Grand Ducal, which Tripadvisor ranks as the best hotel in Luxembourg. And it was surprisingly affordable! Service was impeccable and location was great too.
2. Beautiful Country — Luxembourg City itself is quite striking in appearance. Its full of beautiful valleys and via ducts. Think of it as Edinburgh without the grunge and drunk teenagers. Echternach and Remich were beautiful too!
3. Chilli Red Mini Convertible — From SixT rental. Was a pleasure to drive. The scenery was excellent too.
4. Very few tourists! — On the whole there were hardly any tourists. Only one group of Chinese school children and some pensioners.
5. Surprisingly Cheap — food, tourist attractions (or what few there were), public transport are all quite cheap for Western Europe standards!
6. Schengen — Visa lovers will love this 🙂 … we actually went to Schengen. The town where the agreement of the same name was signed, forming the Schengen zone and the ever elusive Schengen Visa. It was like a pilgrimage.
7. City tours that can only be described as ‘cute’. They had the offices of Arcelor Mittal on the tour. Awww … Luxembourg has a multinational.
The Downside …
1. Lack of decent vegetarian food … but we found a nice french style cafe (can’t remember the name for the life of me) near the main town square.
2. Bit dead overall — not much to do after Day 1 (we hoofed it to Brugge on Day 2).
3. Hard to get there from London, unless you fly.
Overall, I would recommend going there. But for no longer than 2 days.
If you have questions, message me on Twitter — @villdre